Home Sales in the Florida Keys - Market Report (June 2016 Update)

Average Home Sales Prices Climb in 2015 and 2016

Compared to 2014, statistics support that the real estate sales market continues to strengthen in the Upper Florida Keys.  The number of residential sales in 2015 was up 3%, a modest increase.  However the average sales price increased from $513,396 to $557,555, or 9%.  The overall sales volume increased 12%.  

Comparing the period of January through June of 2016 to the prior year, the number of sales has decreased a dramatic 21%, from the same period last year, while the average sales price continuing to show strong increases of 13%.  We believe this is a sign that the sales price increases over the last 18 12 months is starting to cause some push back from interested Buyers.

The number of foreclosures and short sales continue to decline and is now less than 5% of the Florida Keys market.

Graphic representations of these market trends can be seen by opening the PDF attachments at the bottom of this page. 

So You Want My Opinion about the Florida Keys Real Estate Market?

Glenn Hoover - Real Estate Market OpinionI am asked my opinion of the market trends by almost every Buyer, "What is happening to the Real Estate Market in the Florida Keys?  Is it a good time to buy? Are prices going up?"

Before I answer that question, I qualify my response by explaining that I bought my current Florida Keys home at the peak of the real estate market in 2005, and that it is now worth about 80% of what I paid for it. If they are still interested in my opinion, I continue.

What's in a Real Estate Market Statistic?

Real Estate Market ReboundingStatistics are just statistics and sometimes you can spin them to support what you want.  I ran into this while trying to convince myself that what I have been feeling, and more importantly telling my clients, was in fact true.  Is the real estate market in the Florida Keys rebounding?

Florida Keys Home Sales Slow in first 5 Months of 2016

The number of residential home sales in the Upper Keys in 2015 totalled 804.  In 2014, the number of residential sales totaled 782.  So the number of sales increased 3%.  But through the first 6 months of 2016, the number of sales is down 21%.

Home Prices are Increasing in the Florida Keys

House Prices Bouncing on the BottomIf you look at a straight graph of monthly data (Attachment "Upper Florida Keys Monthy Sales Statistics 2008 - through June 2016) it jumps quite a bit and is difficult to determine a trend.  Through June 2016, the average residential home sales price was $650,602.  In 2015 it was $575,083. So in the Upper Keys we are seeing an increase in average home sales prices of 13%. 

I use a rolling average approach in order to smooth out the seasonality of the statistics.  I use a 6 month rolling average because 12 months, although it eliminates seasonal trends, is too slow to reflect trends within the year.  3 months still has too much seasonality and jumps in the same way a straight month to month graph does.  A 6 months rolling average seems to work.  The graph is smoother and definitely shows trends within the year. 

Other Factors

Real Estate Market Continue DownOf course there are other factors that influence this data.  How many foreclosures and short sales are there now compared to last year?  The Upper Keys is still a relatively small sample and a few large estate sales, or an increase in mobile home sales can have a significant impact on monthly data.  But at some point I have to let it go and hope that I am a better Realtor® than a statistician and believe that it will all "come out in the wash."

Foreclosures and Short Sales are Decreasing Dramatically

Foreclosures and Short Sales are now a minor part of this market.  The the inventory now represents less than 5% of the real estate homes for sale in the Florida Keys.  Less than 36 months ago they represented as much as 14% of the inventory and 27% of the sales.  For more information, including a list of distressed properties, visit foreclosures and short sales

Luxury Waterfront Home Sales on the Increase

If you are interested in the luxury home market, visit our Luxury Waterfront Homes page for a list of these properties that we consider a good value.  To receive daily email notices of new luxury waterfront homes as they are just listed, complete the registration to the right of this page and indicate by checking the Luxury Waterfront Home box that you would like to receive these notifications.


File TypeAttachmentSize
Number of Sales 2008 through June 2016 (6 Month Rolling Average)13.09 KB
Median Sales Price 2008 through June 2016 (6 Month Rolling Average)12.84 KB
Average Sales Price 2008 through June 2016 (6 Month Rolling Average)13.08 KB
Sales Volume 2008 through June 2016 (6 Month Rolling Average)13.15 KB
Average Sales Price by Month 2008 through June 201613.15 KB